Brake wiring help

mrhc

Need help connecting plug for brake lights to Painless wiring harness. I have a '79 CJ-7. The wires coming from the brake lights are red, yellow and white. I know the red wire is for the backup lights and connects to one of the white wires on the corresponding plug on the harness. What are the white and yellow wires for? One should be power and one should be turn signal, but which is which? I have a brown and yellow wire that connects to the plug in the harness but how do they correspond to the brake light plug? Brown from harness to white in light or to yellow in light? Yellow from harness to white in light or yellow in light? I also don't know where to plug in the tail light wire under the dash. The instructions for the harness says it plugs into the headlight switch but none of the diagrams I have seen show this. HELP, don't know much about wiring.

Thanks

So, if I understand what your looking for, you are connecting the Painless harness to your exisiting tail light assmeblies? I'm guessing that the problem is that you are looking at the tail light assm. and it has a three pin connector that you need to tie-in to? Without the orginal harness connectors for the tail lights, you're going to have to do some trouble shooting. The tail assm. used on Jeeps where not manufactured by AMC and the wire colors leading from the housing to three pronge connector can (and do) vary depending on who made them.

I believe in your instructions it makes mention of connecting a battery charger up (with the battery removed!) to test the circuits. You'll need to do this and test each circuit. If your certain that you have figured out the backup light then you have two other possible combinations. It will take a few minutes, but it's better than guessing.

PoliceMonkey is correct in powering up your wiring harness to test circuits. After that is set-up you can use a volt meter or test light to test the wire's going to the tail light. (Ex.) using a test light turn your right or left turn signal on and touch the test light to one of your wires in the harness to see which one is cycling. Hope this helps, I wasn't judging your ability.

Back