Can a 02 Jeep TJ Tow a boat?

jeep_tj

I have a 02 Jeep TJ that I am looking to use to two a boat. That is one of the reason that I had purchased the Jeep. The other is to have fun with my kids. I really need to know the answer becuase I always like to dump money on my toys to hook them up but if its not good for towing a boat then I will not dump so much into it. I am a true believer in Jeeps, I have seen really junked up six cylinder trucks pull boats and I dont see why my Jeep wouldn't be able to also. All info will be greatly appreciated.

From what I found 2000lb. is it for a jeep. thats with trailer & load.

my dad's 6 cylinder 89 wrangler pulled our 19' open bow ski boat fine. we didn't have to go far, maybe 20 or 30 minutes but it was ok. if you have ot go far, maybe put some helper springs under the back or some of those 6 leaf rear springs

Having enough power to move the load is only a small part of being able to tow safely. If you can't stop properly or if you don't have enough weight in the tow rig to control sway it's possible for the tail to wag the dog.

assuming the boat axle has brakes, you will need a brake controler, that make for safer stopping. if you do plan on towing, and you have an auto trans, dfefinately get an aftermarket stand alone fluid cooler.

I've launched my boat quite a few times (21" cuddy cabin), and the Jeep can pull like nobody's business - I have no problems getting up the ramp. I do have problems stopping and staying in my lane if it's windy though. Your Jeep is too light, and doesn't have the brakes to do any serious highway towing.

Get trailer brakes for your boat, and keep the speed down (I usually stay under 25, and on back roads), and you should be fine.

yup, ours was not highway time and the roads were 45mph and lower. just going from hubert to the boat launch in swansborrow to ski the intercoastal in north carolina

If you are towing something heavy enough that you think you need trailer brakes, definitely keep speeds below 45mph and stay off the highway. I used my old 350 YJ for launching & pulling the boat around the campground & that's about it.

I have a 4,000 lb aftermarket tow-hitch on mine and have towed at least 3500 lbs. It's a Reese hitch and my jeep is an almost stock 2002 "X" 4.0. So, yes would be the answer, but you wouldn't want to go with much more weight behind you...

Doesn't matter that the hitch is rated for 4k, the Jeep isn't. I wouldn't recommend somebody towing that much weight with a light weight, weak braked, short wheelbase vehicle. The tail WILL end up wagging the dog.

Just because you've done it, doesn't make it right or safe.
image-missing.png

Doesn't matter that the hitch is rated for 4k, the Jeep isn't. I wouldn't recommend somebody towing that much weight with a light weight, weak braked, short wheelbase vehicle. The tail WILL end up wagging the dog.

Just because you've done it, doesn't make it right or safe.
image-missing.png
nice pic:lol:

I believe the JK can be optioned to tow more than the TJ, not to mention the added width, length, and weight make it a little safer to tow with.

According to the owner's manual, a TJ is rated to tow 2000lbs with an LJ at 3500lbs. With my 2006 LJ, I pull at 4 ski trailer with 3 jetskis and a large aluminum toolbox full of crap on the front of the trailer. Skis are approx. 1450lbs, trailer is heavy duty, 25 ft long, & weighs approx. 1200lbs empty. It weighs the back of it down quite a bit but pulling it is no problem. However, when the skis are full of fuel & everything is loaded down, the trailer sometimes wants to get a little squirrely. The trailer has brakes which helps.

I think the towing capacities for the JKs are the same as the TJs but this is a guess.

I agree with previous posters. The weight and the length of the trailer make a difference in being able to tow safely.8)

Back