Cj wipers

Rotedog256

I have a 1983 CJ-7 and I need to know the best way to get to the wiper motor and some suggestions on how the wipers work, it seems like my wiper arms don't know when to stop and they try to go completely over the bottom of the windshield frame.

If you have a dash pad, you would need to remove that first to access the motor cover or you can just fold the windshield forward. The motor rotates at 360* when its powered up. What limits the travel of the wiper blades is the arm from the motor to the linkage. What you might want to do first is make sure when the wiper is turned off, mark the location of the wiper arm shaft at its parked location. Actuate the motor and mark the full sweep location. From there, you can determine if its a linkage issue or a wiper arm issue. There are 2 types of wiper arms that came on the CJ, one with a ridgid non adjustable arm and the other has an adjustable arm angle. This might a difference on its proper function.

did you or po ever remove wiper arms they may not have been reinstalled with wiper motor in park ,(example wipers on when you turn off jeep with out shutting off wipers first the motor wont be in park)

Last edited:
Thanks for the responses to my question. I'm gonna try to work on it this weekend and I'll let you know how it goes.

Back