Dash Lights

Rebel1970

1983 CJ7 I6 258cid.

I installed a new headlight switch, hoping that it would cure my "no dash light" problem. I find out now that when I turn the dimmer all the way to the left (counter clockwise) my volt meter and oil pressure gauges work fine. But when I turn the dimmer all the way to the right (clockwise) the volt meter goes to "0" and the oil pressure pegs out above "80". Any ideas what is causing this? Dash lights still don't work, but I think I have that problem figured out. Appreciate any advice or ideas out there. Thanks!! Oh yeah, head lights and tail lights work fine.

I'm thinking maybe your headlight switch is crossed with your gauge wiring instead of the gauge lights.

was thinking same thing, wasn't sure how to word it.. sounds like the wires are mixed between the two. could be just one wire

Sounds like you have a ground issue. The dimmer switch is acting like the ground point and when you turn left or right you are chancing the voltage on the ground plane of the dash readouts.

Verify all ground connections are clean and shiny and that the switch you installed is wired correctly.

most definitely missing one or more grounds to the dash circuitry. When he turns the switch all the way to the right and puts full voltage on the dash lights they are no longer at the "lower potential" and cant act like a ground for the volt meter. I'd start looking on the right side of the dash where the oil pressure gauge resides as that one is going full scale, indicating additional voltage showing up there... this is probably the result of a burned trace or bad solder joint due to heating that happened when the light switch went bad, most likely shorting internally and taking some extra components along with it when it smoked. We have to remember cause and effect, and Murphy's law...

Back