engine code question

Hi,

That is not a valid OBD-II trouble code (your Jeep is newer than '96 model year, right?), I'm guessing maybe this code was the result of using the odometer or such to check codes in the Jeep's computer without a scanner?

Autozone can scan codes for OBD-II compatible vehicles -- and it is usually a free service. Otherwise you'd have to look in the correct Cherokee service manual for definitions to any codes pulled through the instrument cluster. :mrgreen:

-Nick :!:

went to autozone today and had the guy hook the computer. it was all 4 oxygen sensors. dont know what could have set that off. had him reset it and it hasnt come back on yet.

Hi,

Do they really use 4 oxygen sensors in the newer Cherokees? Geez. that seems like a bunch. My Wrangler only has 2 so i'd just assumed most OBD-II compliant Jeeps have two as well.

Interesting :mrgreen:

It only uses 2 oxygen sensors, doesn't surprise me that the 'Zone guy didn't know what he was talkin about.

25 is a valid code when doing the self-diagnostic code scan:
25** A shorted condition detected in one or more of the idle air control motor circuits.

The IAC motor is on the passenger side of the throttle body.

no tailights and 10 amp fuse blows

well, i checking out the FSM and they refer to O2 bank 1 sensor 1+2+3 and bank 2 sensor 1+2. so i figured there would be 4 also. the computer said that 1/1,1/2,2/1, and 2/2 are what is giving the error for heater circuit failures

i also found a list that code 25 was the idle air motor. but a XJnick and a few other sources said that was not a valid OBD-II code. so now i am even more unsure.

well, i went back outside and stuck my head all around. i can see that i have 4 O2 sensors. i may have a fifth, because there are areas of the manifold i cannot see.

There are not 4 or more o2 sensors, 2 is the most that came on a jeep. One on the downpipe below the exhaust manifold, and, on newer jeeps (OBDII), one after the cat.

25 is a valid code for self-diagnostics. If you were close I could hook up my OBDII scanner and it would tell us the same thing, although the scanners generally use a 4-digit P code.

When the FSM refers to Bank 1 and Bank 2 sensors, are you sure they're not referring to the o2 sensors fore and aft of the catalytic converter?

Hi,

I too think that there is NO more than two oxygen sensors on that Jeep. What would it prove having more than two anyways? Where else would they need to read the exhaust air mixture? Up and down stream of the catalytic converter basically covers everything :mrgreen:

well on the exhaust manifold, the six cylinders form 2 "bubbles" then form 1 pipe. sorry for the lack of terminology. there is a sensor before and after each bubble. i dont know if they are all 02 sensors or not. and there are no sensor around the cat. sounds wierd to me, but that is what i see.

i dont know what those bubbles are. maybe they are some form of cat..

Hmmm... I don't know what those are.

Can you take any pictures maybe?

i just did some more diggin in the FSM and they are "mini-catalytic converters" used in california emissions vehicles only. and it shows 6 oxygen sensors for CA emssions vehicles. this thing is infested with 02 sensors. i will try yo get it to the dealer this weekend i guess.

im hoping its only the idle air motor.

Ya, like a dirty or bad IAC Motor. That was what the original code was. Why not clean the IAC and entire throttle body and see what that does?

Unless your under warranty, the stealership would be a last resort.

So basically, you're saying that only Jeeps made in cali have more o2 sensors.
I certainly hope this is not for ALL post 97 cherokees.
I did hear that the 2000 and 2001 Cherokees have been changed a little bit to meet LEV vehicle requirements.

Back