Is the Jeep wave dying?

here in south louisiana people wave from their front porch, even a susuki, top off waved at my buddy,he was in a wrangler, it's just friendly

this day and age people got there thumb up there --- so its almost as bad as flippin the bird

I get about 80% from other Wrangler drivers. Other Jeep models, never.

Stopped at 4WD Hardware in Ohio today. When faced with the rigs in the parking lot, my daughter's 4-banger TJ quivers like Herbie The Love Bug when he sees the Ferraris.

Last edited:
Back when I got my '66 Chevy Malibu, that I later accessorized with a great deal on an SS hood and badges (we don't need no stinking....) I was dating a girl from Lebanon, Oregon. Out for a drive around Green Peter (yes virginia, there is such a place in Oregon, also I know the real name of Rooster Rock being a native Oregonian) she would wave to folks driving around this resivoir. Not being accustomed to such I asked "do you know those folks?" and she responded that she waved to all kindly lookin' folks. Shortly thereafter I traded the Malibu for my fisrt Jeep a '77 Levis CJ5. That's when I took up waving to folks~especially Jeeps.

I wave at every jeep..I pass....I wave until they wave back....I will train them..lol

I do think there is a "break in period" for new Jeep owners, so we should probably give the new JK owners a break, at least for a little while..
What sort of time frame are we talking here Terry, many of these "new JK" owners have already started changing there grocery getters into real jeeps, i.e. lifts, bumpers, tires,and such.
This year at the Easter Safari I think I seen more JK's than TJ's, YJ's, and CJ's combined. Had to pull two out of some hard situations because they didn't know how to drive, lol.
I think if you lift your jeep and throw on some tires you should know about the Jeep wave.

I've had jeeps since my 59 3B in the mid 60s, the wave was between rarely seen vehicles shunned on the edge of civilized society, folks carried tools, a shop manual, extra points ect...a chain, and it began as a surprised happy recognition, (camaraderie)... if you were broke on the side of the road (likely without all the required legalities cause jeep guys in those days were not far from motorcycle guys in greasy rags for clothes and no social support system or close friends), the other guys had your back. the point was everyone in a jeep was some kind of qualified mechanic. This was the case until yuppies caught the jeep fad...then it became some kind of "club".

I don't exclude anyone's right in the pursuit of happiness, but the wave is not the same when everyone doesn't bring the same weight to the table.

I'll return a wave generally out of civility, but the day for that is long gone.

I do believe people with tools and chains still do the wave when called upon. but it's not like a jeep accessory out of a catalogue. the wave, once the secret handshake is now a politically correct behavior...and the heritage stems from anti-social behavior.

see the difference?

I find that the guys who hit the trails and spend time off-road are the guys that wave. These are also the guys that would stop and help you if you were sitting on the side of the road with the hood up.

The newer generation of shopping mall 4x4 owners dont wave. A 4x4 to them is a statement, not a way of life

[QUOTE The newer generation of shopping mall 4x4 owners dont wave. A 4x4 to them is a statement...[/QUOTE]

you have to attribute that to marketing the SUV craze.
jeeps & land rovers were in wars and safaris and the first civilian owners were juvenile delinquent wild hairs...then came the scouts and broncos...which lead to the wagoneer easter basket...and that limb led to the blazers. in 68 I bought a new jeepster commando and found myself stuck between trees on jeep run tight turns while CJs mocked me in sadistic taunts.

SUV marketing efforts strayed from the main root and found fertile ground...can't argue with success, but with cell phones the norm, it connected the help to the timid to let everyone with a checkbook and his brother into the pool...reality is the pool still has a deep end where angels fear to tread.

so you can wave to everyone or keep both hands on the controls...it doesn't matter cause your perspective is your reality.

http://www.jeepz.com/forum/images/smilies/popcorn[1].gif

Well I have wanted a wrangler since I was 5. Got a ride from my uncle in the mountains and loved it... it was the best thing to be able to zip off your windows and drive where there were no roads. I may not know how to fix everything on my wrangler but I am trying to learn as needed. I didnt get my jeep because of the yuppie movement or the suv movement I got it because its a Jeep and it speaks to me. I wave because I love my jeep and id rather waste a few waves on yuppies and grocery getters than to not wave at other jeepers that feel like I do about their ride.

......just so long as they're not waving thier social finger............ or another part of their anatomy ~> :bootyshake:

gardengirl... I may not know how to fix everything on my wrangler but I am trying to learn as needed. [/QUOTE said:
times are different now, the consuming public is locked out of the service end by design...old days you filed points or wrapped baling wire and bubble gum to limp home...now you have to order a part number and wait for the $6/hr. know nothing idiot kid to sift thru menus and get the part number wrong 1/2 the time...they don't want us fixing our own, and I expect it to get even more so in the coming years... which is why us dinosaurs buy old stuff and fix it up rather than get sucked into that hustle machine.

Old stereotype prejudices are bound to change into something new...better or worse? who knows in the long run...things are only a freeze frame out of the whole movie. case in point, my man bobcat481 knee-jerked a popcorn reply up there assuming I was an idiot and kept mum whilst displaying a "wiser that thou" smiley ...people are only capable of what they bring to the table. it's an open or closed mind that makes "reality de jour"

in the younger days when I was footloose, on an adventure thru Colorado, I saw females in jeeps with gas cans on the back dressed in the cutest down vests with pine tree decorations and it sprung my male interest where I had no defense against it. truth be known, I suspect most males have a similar reaction...pigs that we are.

my original post was merely a tutorial on what the wave began as...not a blanket condemnation.

sorry you misread that bobcat... we are amused.

Yo Rick

What book did you eat for breakfast?

I did not mis-read that. Is was a very informative story about where the "wave" came from. It started out as a "brotherhood" type thing. Like you said "I've got your back". Now it's almost required if your a "Real Jeeper". It went from starting as an "out-cast" thing to a "happy-go-luck-soccer-mom" thing. I was awake, not asleep in class. I did not mean for my post to sound cocky, or that I was "wiser than thou". We obviously learned something about "the waves" roots. I actually meant that as a COMPLIMENT, showing that I was reading along in deep thought about what you were saying. If I were to be an arse about your post I would have replied simply ::shock: or:crazy: or:scratch: or:bootyshake: or:rofl:eek:r :razz:. I thought your reply was actually very nice. I just wish when I was hearing the story you were telling, that it was James Earl Jones's voice in my head.

Yo Rick

What book did you eat for breakfast?

you save odds and ends and soon have a pile of scrap... decades later you may find a use for the piece, otherwise it gets taken to the curb when they clean house to liquidate the estate

<It started out as a "brotherhood" type thing. >

more like honor amongst thieves... it was individuals who didn't join squat, the 57 Chevy/GTO/Big Daddy Roth types were the club material. jeep guys were under police scrutiny every time you dragged some foliage into Eat-n-Park.

Last edited:
Well, around here, it's pretty much country folks. People will wave at you reguardless of what you drive. More so with Jeep to Jeep interaction. I can still remember when I was bringing my Jeep home the day I bought it, I got a few waves from other Jeepers. As stated previously, CJ's and Wranglers. It brings a smile to my face seeing the front grille and headlights of a Jeep coming and knowing their probably thinking the same thing. "Nice Rig, Wave and Smile!"

Personally, it seems like the JK owners around here are just old farts that had money to blow on a top package Jeep. They could care less, But..........

I Still Wave! :MDB2:

Keepin' It Alive!
Jeeper99

I'm pretty sure I drive the wave tombstone around everyday. I also feel like a dumba#* waving, I even step out on the running board to make sure the other jeep see's me....still nothing

Back