jeep carburetor

IrishMike

I have a 1989 jeep wrangler yj with a 6 cylinder 258 cid engine. I have replaced and /or rebuilt the carburetor two times. I saw Quadratec has a Weber 34 DGEC carburetor for the 258 engine. Has anyone installed one and how has it worked? I appreciate any help. Thanks!

I have a 1989 jeep wrangler yj with a 6 cylinder 258 cid engine. I have replaced and /or rebuilt the carburetor two times. I saw Quadratec has a Weber 34 DGEC carburetor for the 258 engine. Has anyone installed one and how has it worked? I appreciate any help. Thanks!

Mine worked great on the street but not so great on the trails. It worked good on trails but still stalled in vert climbs. Milage was good about 17 mpg on 31x10.50 BFG all terrain. I sold mine to a buddy and he is still running it. No problems. I am now running the Howell TBI. (GM Throttle bodyfuel injection) I can stand my CJ on the back bumper and it keeps running.:D A bit more $$$$$ but worth it for me. I have had no problems with the TBI unit. Been running it for about 5 or 6 years.

I have a 90 yj 258 that probably was the same carb. I wanted to get rid of all the feedback stuff so I got a rebuilt carb for a 78 cj from napa. It bolted right up but then the computer wouldn't control the timing correctly without the right carb so i went with one of those hei distributor setups out of 4wd hardware and I love it. If you are replacing a feedback carb you will probably have to do the same thing.

I run a empi 32/36 witch is the same as a weber 5115 i belive...i like it but make sure u get a regulator!!! 3 to 3.5 psi.... stock jeep mechanical pumps run 7 to 8 psi....

1) you need to do more thatn replace the carburetor to make it work properly. You need to 'nutter' to bypass the carburetor/ignition controller as well

2) technically it's not street legal. Depending on where you live that may not be a critical issue.

I should have also mentioned that when you get rid of the feedback carb setup you will end up wit about 9000 wires and vacuum hoses that suddenly become unnecessary but some of them will need to be retained. I am a mechanic and it wasn't bad for me but if you are mechanically inept you should recruit some help that has experience with carbs and ignition to sort it all out.

ditto for the nutter if its a computer carb.do the nutter and a tfi upgrade, get a junkyard motorcraft 2150 throw away 100 feet of junk hoses and this would be the cheapest mod that will put reliability back in your 258. I dont have to deal with smog checks tho......

Go with the Motorcraft 2150 and a Mr. Gasket carb adapter, it will run better at angles than the Weber, cheaper too.

Go with the Motorcraft 2150 and a Mr. Gasket carb adapter, it will run better at angles than the Weber, cheaper too.

X 2. If you don't get a good Weber out of the box you will left with a very expensive door stop. Weber offers no guarantee on their products so once you’ve bought it, it is yours. (Voice of a bad experience talking here)

This was the first time I had heard of this nutter thing so i looked it up. I should have looked it up a long time ago. I bought two different distributors (around $175) to fix the timing situation when i could have fixed it with $2 worth of wire and connectors. Oh well, one more lesson learned the hard way.

I want to thank everyone for the help and suggestions. I plan on the motorcraft card and will update on the results. As always " it's a jeep thing". Thanks

Here is another idea-I have the 258 I-6, I put on an Offey intake, changed to a Holley truck avenger 4 bbl 390 cfm carb, Pacesetter headers and magnaflow exhaust. I changed the insurance to classic vehicle so no worrys about emmisions. This is the best set up I have ever built and runs like a raped ape! I just got so sick of constantly messing with the Carter. Good luck my friend!

I just put a fuel injection on my 76 258 , I used parts off a 88 4.0 jeep cherokee enj found it in a junk yard for $125. so far I love this set up another direction to concider and a cheap modification

Back