Need help!

Thumper01

I just finished putting on a 3 1/2" lift on the front of my jeep. It already had the shackle reversal kit in it. It seems my shackles want to flip towards the rear and hit the frame. Shouldn't the be angled towards the front? If so how do I get them to go that way? When I put a load on the front of the jeep they go further to the rear and stay that way. Please help.

image-92146369.jpg

image-1541664478.jpg

The shackles should be angled slightly toward the rear for them to work correctly. See the two holes behind the shackle bracket on the frame? Looks like the brackets were originally mounted further toward the rear. Moving the brackets rearward should correct your problem.

Was it that way before you put on the lift? If not, the lift springs maybe longer than the old ones. In the photo I see a couple of holes next to the shackle hanger. Is it possible to move the hanger to the rear?

Yes it was that way before lift. I will see if I can move bracket. I wish I could just put it back with the shackles in the front.

I think the springs look too long or like they're already heavily loaded and flattened. Could you have accidently switched the front and rear springs?

jonsolbe said:
I think the springs look too long or like they're already heavily loaded and flattened. Could you have accidently switched the front and rear springs?

No. I'm positive I didn't switch springs. They are flattened because the shackle is going back against the frame. I'm just wanting to know how to fix it.

Thumper01 said:
Yes it was that way before lift. I will see if I can move bracket. I wish I could just put it back with the shackles in the front.

Good thing it's the bolt on kit. Shouldn't be to hard to move the hangers back. Be sure to check that your driveshaft isn't stretched or bottomed out. I have a reversal kit on my cj, and it made the ride way smoother.

I totally agree with bounty hunter. Looks like you need to move the bracket back, maybe the previous owner put cj springs on it for some reason. They are shorter then the yj,s but also narrower. It really looks like if you move the bracket back you will be fine.

Thanks folks. I'll try moving it back to the next set if holes and see how that does. I appreciate the help.

Ok I moved the mount back. This is what it looks like now. The drivers side is still real close to vertical. I moved them back the same amount.

image-3816582196.jpg

image-1773181183.jpg

Also removed both track bars. Should I remove the sway bar also?
Thanks for all the help guys. :)

That looks better. They are so vertical because its a new lift (stiff springs), they should settle in soon. I dont know much about track bars but think I read on this forum that you shouldnt remove track bar. If the steering feels ok with the sway bar removed thats fine, but the handling may get worse and worse as the springs break in.

Back