New to the Jeep vehicle

James1911

Just recently moved to the Colorado area and I'm looking to purchase a jeep as a second car to toy around in. I have never owned a jeep before and I'm told to stick with the older TJ's or YJ's. Also 4.0 6cylinder manual is the best and most reliable set up. Any thoughts or recommendations as to TJ or YJ would be greatly appreciated. Looking to spend $5 - $7k if possible.

Cheers'

Cool move to Colorado, what part? I would also not count out the CJ7 in your search for a toy (I'm a little partial in that regard). If your ever in my neck of the woods, look me up! Good luck on your jeep hunting.

Personally I like TJ over a YJ. Biggest thing is to look for condition. TJ is known to rust on the top of front fenders and the frame will rot near the rear tire before the frame goes over the axle. There is factory drain hole there check it to make sure it's not rotted. If it has carpet peel it back and look under it for for rot.

I like the TJ if you can get it (I have one). If you do end up with a YJ, look for the newer ones that have fuel injection (91+ I believe).

Stay '91+ for the reliability of fuel injection and hassle free performance at elevation.

'97-'06 TJ will ride a little better with the coil springs, but can cost a little more to lift properly and are susceptible to death wobble. Interior a little more car-like than the utilitarian YJ.

'91-'95 YJ are leaf spring, cheaper to lift and death wobble is very rare. KISS suspension design (Keep it simple, Stupid).

The 4.0L six is pretty bullet-proof, but make sure the manual transmission shifts smoothly between gears. Any difficulty getting into a gear could mean trouble.

Stay '91+ for the reliability of fuel injection and hassle free performance at elevation. '97-'06 TJ will ride a little better with the coil springs, but can cost a little more to lift properly and are susceptible to death wobble. Interior a little more car-like than the utilitarian YJ. '91-'95 YJ are leaf spring, cheaper to lift and death wobble is very rare. KISS suspension design (Keep it simple, Stupid). The 4.0L six is pretty bullet-proof, but make sure the manual transmission shifts smoothly between gears. Any difficulty getting into a gear could mean trouble.

Bounty_Hunter thank you for the awesome feedback!!! If you had to choose between a TJ and a YJ as a daily driver, which would you recommend?

Back