only idles with lights on??

cjseven84

ok this is confusing me!! My jeep will only idle when my headlights are on, when i turn them off it starts to idle really rough then jstu shuts off. does anyone have a clue as to what might be wrong? :-? [addsig]

Afraid of the dark maybe. :lol: Sonds like your haveing a alternator trouble to me! I had something like that happen when I installed a stereo and a new high out put alternator fixed mine. Local auto electric ran a test of some sort and fixed er right up! Good luck tug[addsig]

Did yo do any work on it before this or did it just start out of the blue? I am curious as I have never seen this. Please, if already repaired post the problem and what solved it. That's how we all learn, even mechanics.[addsig]

Just a thought, but mabye the power wire to your lights is grounding out. I had a similiar problem but only with my stereo. Every time I turned on my stereo, my old truck would shut off. I found that a cut wire which was touching ground was shorting out either my fuel pump or coil or something along those lines. I guess it was sending power up the ground wire to whatever was shutting off. I just replaced the worn wire and it fixed the problem. [addsig]

Back