Painting wheels...

94YJGUY

Has anybody tried to paint there chrome wheels, or have them powder coated. I have chrome M/T's and as a winter project want the redone in black. Is it as easy as proper sanding and shaky can? I'll appreciate any and all info you guys could give me.

Attachments

• IMG_0175.jpg
    IMG_0175.jpg
    359.5 KB · Views: 1,778

Those are some pretty nice looking wheels as they are. But that's just me. I had a set of steel boat trailer wheels (Factory White Spoke) sand blasted and powder coated Chrome. They turned out really good, but they were steel wheels. I think they have a dupli-color wheel paint, but I don't know how good it would turn out or last.

P1011216-2.jpg

It's best to sand blast them, unless you're really bored and feel like sanding all the chrome off by hand! Usually powder coating shops will charge a little bit more when you have them sandblast chrome...due to the fact they can't reuse that sand, or whatever media they decide to use, in the future since it has the chrome in it

I did a set several years ago. I used a wire wheel to remove imperfections and also to rough them up to allow the coating to better adhere to the wheels.

I used VHT wheel paint in the spray cans. It is also available in a can.

They looked good. That Jeep (or any opf the other ones I have or had) wasn't a show jeep and they weren't perfect, but if I wanted to use a better sprayer they very well could have lood as good as new wheels.

The VHT paint held up well through many muddy jeep runs. That Jeep never played in the rocks. I did nick one of them once, but a quick spray with leftover paint remedied that.

Attachments

• 15x7.jpg
    15x7.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 1,304

I did these a few weeks ago .
01216-2.jpg

and used this to do it.
image-missing.png

final out come on vehicle

0159-2.jpg

Last edited:
hey amp88 did you sand the entire wheel before you did it, and what kind of sandpaper did you use?

I just want them matte black, I am going to take the beadlock bolts out first.

I used a wire wheel, they had surface corrosion on them . Then i wet sanded them with 320 than a green scuffy and painted them.
before pic
00435-2.jpg

Here is a pair I did couple years ago, they used to be polished, I also used the duplicolor paint, was really durable till I trashed the rims.

IMG_2187-1.jpg

Here are my wheels now, these are from a 1/2 ton chevy, also same paint, two years of wheeling and they still look good

S1031715-1.jpg

hey jps did you just sand and paint, or did you use any primer?

Also, what size tires are you running they look cool.

Tires are Q78's, measure 35.5" tall. The polished rims I scuffed them up with a 3M pad, primed with a self etching primer and them 2 coats of color. Like mentioned, they looked good for a while, but I have a tendency of being a little hard on my stuff and I got about a year out of them till one wheel was completely cracked and another had the outer lip removed on a rock.
The steel wheels I sand blasted them,primed, paint and cleared (same for the lock ring.) I got them from a guy for free, they sat in his yard for years, so they were a little rusty, but they were free.

Do you think i should rough these up before i paint them??? They look so smooth i would just feel bad. i want to go gloss black in the background and flat black on the 5 spoke section.
[/ATTACH]

I messed up my black rim and american racing cant get me another one for 10 weeks....:x:x:x
Photo 2.jpg

Attachments

• Photo 36.jpg
    Photo 36.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 426
jps4jp, I run those same wheels with Q78's, minus the beadlocks. I put the beadlocks on some SJ 15x6" so I'd end up with 7" wheels.

88, those are some sweet looking wheels. I had the same style on my '88 Laredo and the clearcoat was crap.

jps4jp, I run those same wheels with Q78's, minus the beadlocks. I put the beadlocks on some SJ 15x6" so I'd end up with 7" wheels.

I had so many problems with the 8" rims and no bead locks with the Q's. I could not go below 6 spi or I would be blowing beads all day long, I ended up trashing those wheels bad from driving with no tires over obsticles to a flatter area just to change a tire.

With the bead locks, I can get down to 3 psi no problem. In the spring, I am gonna cut these tires so I might only have to go to 4 or 5 psi, keep a little ground clearence and still get the performance out of the tire.

I run 10-12psi and never have a problem. I'm waiting for the Q's to wear a little also before grooving them, can't bring myself to do it to a relatively new tire. These tires have been great.

best 35-36" tire. Mine are about 3 years old, but my jeep is a trailer queen so they have maybe 200 miles on them at best. the pic in my sig, that rear tire on the rock/stump is at 3 psi, it is where I find the best performance.

Same was true when I had Boggers, once I got them under 6 psi, it was like having a sticky tire, traction improved 10 fold. I am not too sure what the wheeling is like in IL., but here in the North east it is traction free rocks and mud.

What beadlock kit did you use? Are you happy with the final ~9" rim width?

Back