Power Steering

PS89YJ

I found a 96 front pump bracket that will bolt up to my 89YJ and I'm comfortable make a support bracket for the rear. My question is can I run a 96 power steering pump to a 89 steering box without causing any problems?
Thanks for any help.

I believe the bracket came out of a Cherokee with a straight 6/4.0 it does match up with pulleys and attachment bolts. Will that pump work with the 89 power steering box without blowing seals or not providing enough pressure?
Thanks

Are the pumps the same?

The YJ uses v-belts and a pump with an attached reservoir, while the XJ uses a serpentine belt and a remote reservoir. Not many similarities, don't know how you're going to make it work.

Bounty Hunter,

I must have an odd ball 89YJ because it has serpentine belts. I have found a front bracket that bolts on and lines up perfectly with the belt. The pump will replace the present idler pulley on the left side of the engine. From looking at later year 4.0 straight 6 engines the pump bolts into the intake manifold. My Mopar injection does not have this provision so I'm going to make something to support the rear of the pump. I'm not too worried about hoses because I believe those can be made up to anything I need. What does concern me is will the pump work correctly with a 89 power steering gear box?

I've had the Jeep for a long time and the party I purchased from was a related so I don't believe it is a transplant. I suppose it could have been, if so it was sure clean but I really think I would have been told, it would not have made a difference. I do know it was build late in the model year in Canada.

regardless of serp of v belt, most if not all 4.2/4.0 used the TC style pump you would have to change the pulley if it is different. there were two different shaft diameters for the pumps though, not sure what was in what. TC pumps were also used in some chevy's

Thanks for the information. I picked up the parts and will swap and add as soon as time permits. The project looks straight forward so I will probably break something off.

Back