Rebuild questions

Spud

My son and I are rebuilding his 1992 YJ with 2.5liter engine after the engine suffered a catastrophic failure (very impressive damage). We just got a rebuilt block to start putting the used parts back on but I don't know where the lifting eyes should go. The Chilton's Book just says to hoist it by the lifting eye (Chilton's can be incredibly maddening sometimes).

Could someone post a picture with the location of these or how to safely attach a hoist to the engine? I don't have welding equipment to fabricate anything so it needs to be pretty straight forward.

We used the hoist to get the old block out but, because of the amount of damage we just threw a chain around the whole thing and hoisted it out.

Also, when attaching the block to an engine stand can you use the bolts to attach the transmission to the engine to attach the engine to the stand? If not what type/strength bolt should we use.

Thanks in advance for your help. Jeepz is the best forum as everyone is patient, helpful and friendly.

I usually attach the chain to head bolts.

As for the engine stands, you will need grade8 bolts longer than stock.

I'm Spud's son, and another question we've had is whether or not we can use the timing belt cover that has a slight crack in it... We assume it's mostly a cover for decreasing the grime getting in, but not positive if it is more critical than that?

If it's more critical than that could we just seal it with something, or do we need a new one?

just clean it up and use a little jb weld to cover crack should be fine

Back