ROCKER GUARDS neeeeded! *yj*

smellyxj

RE: 74 CJ5 Heater

desperately looking for yj rocker guards.. poison spider maybe?

for yjs or yj w/ tj flares.

no aluminum wanted.

i'm located in Schaumburg, IL.

need 'em to protect some treated body rot.. as well as for body damage on trails(eventually..). hopefully, will have them by Dec 12th.
-Rachel

RE: coverting fastback to a family style rollcage

Rachel-

Im fabbing up a set for mine that goes from wheel well to wheel well out of 1/8" steel. if you want, I could make you a set too. mine should be done tommorrow night..... so ill take pics and show you and maybe we can do some business.

Rich

Good luck saving the body rot. the way they salt the roads by you is crazy. The roads are usaly pink or whatever color the salt is they use for that year. I used to live in palatine/rolling meadows. On the other hand it realy does not snow that much by you any more. I remember when I was a kid you could build snow forts with walk through tunnels. Ahh the good old blizzard of 79.

putting on rockers is more likely to promote body rot, your more likely to wind up trapping stuff behind them. do it right and fix it before you cover it up

RE: Engine swap????

She was actually trying to get a set for me for Christmas. Red, could you send me pics and prices? I'm not sure how much she checks this site. Thanks -Mike

RE: A/A 231 SYE Kit??

ill send pics and prices when im finished with them. as of now, the template is done and one of the guards was made already, but i decided to cut it down to go between the flares. The full rocker ( wheel-well to wheel-well) is universal for all YJs and goes behind the flares. If you want to cut them down to go between the flares, you will have to mock up, measure and cut them down to size, as there is no surefire way to measure properly, as TJ flares are put on differently by different people. Mine are actually spaced differently on both sides, so i have to make 2 different lengths for the "between the flare" rockers.

anyway, as for protection. They have a 1" bend under the rocker, for strength and ample surface for a jack. they go up the rocker 4 inches. The mounting surface will be covered in a rubberized coating, which will prevent further damage to the rocker surface, while providing better protection from the elements than bare metal does. The outter surface will be coated with a line-x, rhino lining type paint, or a smooth, semigloss black paint and clear. powdercoating might be available in the future, but i still have to look into it.

Could they be shipped bare? No paint or anything? Any ball park price and how do they compare to Poison Spider performance? -Mike

i can ship them bare. i dont know how they compare... um... they'll be cheaper. id say that with them bare + shipping, they'd come out to around $100, but no fancy shmancy logo lazer cut into them like PSC.... mine are 1 piece 1/8" (10 gauge) steel........ 1" under body.... 4" up the rocker.... Wheel-well to Wheel-well

im working on getting the holes drilled. I would like to use a couple of the factory holes, but to keep things simple, i might just make them universal.

It might take a little while for me to get around to them (maybe a week longer than i originally anticipated), cuz i just hit a deer tonight on the way home from visiting my girlfriend while doing about 70. damn doe ran across the highway and took out my grill and fender... i didnt even see her coming. apparently the impact left her in 4982639476 pieces all over the highway (according to the van full of teenage burnouts that pulled over to tell me how awesome it was.... not cool) So for now, my metal working will be mostly spent on body repair, but it should only take a couple days.

Some good eatin' huh? That'd be cool if you could use the factory holes. I had the factory sidesteps on and I took them off, so now I have about 4 or 5 vertical drain holes :roll: -Mike

ill resume fabrication on monday morning. I did as much bodywork as i could today and now it just looks like i need to replace the front half of the passenger fender and the Flare, which is held together with some wire. wont fix it back to mint til after the winter.

anyway, im going for as much of a uniform look as possible.... so i will be doing my best to use 2 factory holes b/c i like the height, and spacing and 3 or 4 new holes may have to be drilled at the same height and spacing. of course, that might change in the garage tommorrow, so who knows. i do hope to have them completely done by tuesday and ill take pics and post them and we'll talk sales if you like what you see.

1/8"? 1" under and 4" up the side? These are for appearances only, right? It doesn't take too much wheelin to bend up 1/8" just like the stock sheetmetal. I wouldn't use any less than 3/16", use 1/4" if possible. Go as far under the jeep as possible if you plan to ever hit the rocker panel while offroad.

RE: Western Jeepz Run in New Mexico!!

psc uses 3/16" i think. I did em with 1/8 for weight. I was inspired to do them for looks, but they are good enough for jacking with a hi-lift. I dont know how theyd hold up to rocks, being there arent any around here. Ill send pics when i get back in town and we'll take it from there.

RE: sorry.. been busy

image-missing.png

looks like it works very well.

image-missing.png

no damage at all.

more pics available if you wanna see them. i didnt want to piss off the victims of a 56K connection.

Back