Tragedy in Colorado

Bounty__Hunter

Super Moderator
Very tragic news from Colorado:
Ouray News said:
OURAY -- A freak rockfall Sunday, July 30, killed a man in a Jeep while traveling on the Camp Bird Road south of Ouray.

A 62-year old Texas man was driving downhill with his wife, as part of more than a dozen vehicles in a Jeep club, when a rock fell from above and crashed through the vehicle's soft-top roof, killing him instantly, according to officials.

''I've never seen anything quite like that,'' said Ouray County Sheriff Junior Mattivi. ''We're guessing it was about a 75-pound rock.''

According to Mattivi, the rock hit the Jeep on the driver's side, just behind the windshield.

''The passenger had the presence of mind to grab the steering wheel and steer into the mountainside,'' said Mattivi. ''Fortunately she did, otherwise we would've probably had two fatalities.''

That stretch of road, about five miles south of Ouray, has a nearly 400-foot drop on the outside edge, reported Mattivi. The Jeep ended up on its side.

Ouray County Emergency Medical Services Chief Paramedic Norm Rooker said bystanders removed both people from the Jeep started CPR on the man, bundling his wife for transport to the hospital. Members of the Ouray Mountain Rescue Team responded to the site of the accident, and assisted in recovering the man's body. Rooker said first bystanders, then emergency medical personnel worked to save the man, but he was beyond help.

''Ultimately, his injuries were too severe,'' said Rooker. ''After consulting with the Montrose Memorial Hospital emergency department, we transported him down to the ambulance barn and met the medical examiner and a representative from Crippin (funeral home).''

Meanwhile, Ouray Police Chief Tony Chelf intercepted the Jeep carrying the passenger, and assisted in her transfer to an ambulance, by which she was transported to the hospital in Montrose.

Mattivi said vehicles on Camp Bird Road are frequently hit by falling ice and rock, but nothing of this size.

''We go through there a lot, with little rocks falling, and we've been lucky,'' said Mattivi.

Even while crews were on-scene, smaller rocks were falling around them. ''We had to keep a person as a lookout while we were up there,'' said Mattivi, noting there was likely nothing the driver could have done to avoid the rockfall.

''This truly was a freak accident,'' he said.
http://lsjc.org/board/showthread.php?t=5376

Our prayers and condolences go out to Jim's family, friends, and jeep family. May you forever ride the ultimate trail in the sky.

This tragedy is an eyeopener as my fellow club members and very close friends had just driven past this section of road and weren't too far ahead of Jim's group. And thank goodness his passenger and fellow club member had the foresight to turn the jeep into the rock wall to save from going over the cliff on the opposite side.
2006SilvertonTrip342-3.jpg

Well, I'd rather die doing something I love than sitting at home on the couch. It's a real tragedy, for sure. Wonder what the trails in Heaven are like?

Sparky-Watts said:
Well, I'd rather die doing something I love than sitting at home on the couch.

I'd rather die doing something I love also......but what are the chances of a boulder falling on you in your living room?

So sad. Our thoughts and prayers are with Jim, his loved ones, family, and friends.

Wow... Thats really sad. It so hard to believe that freaks accidents happen like that in such beautiful places. God bless Jim and his family. We will keep them in our prayers.

Sparky-Watts said:
Well, I'd rather die doing something I love than sitting at home on the couch. It's a real tragedy, for sure. Wonder what the trails in Heaven are like?
no way. i don't want to die while i'm sailing the seas or doing something sweet. take me while i'm doing my taxes. let me for once give it back to the man. i'll be sittin at my kitchen table 50 years from now, putting my taxes together, and i kick the bucket, suckers!

Did that happen on the part of the road where the overhang is?

I'm heading in September to observe the fall colors and run Poughkeepsie.

It is always a trajedy when things of this nature happen...

cewtwo said:
I'm heading in September to observe the fall colors and run Poughkeepsie.

Not to take away from this poor man's misfortune, but when will you be there.
I'll be there the 3rd week of Sept.
PM me...I'll like to talk about it.

Back