Transmission Qs

WhostheFNG

Hey guys, I am totally new to the Jeep thing. So new that I don't even have a Jeep yet!ha

I am in the market for a CJ7 and have been doing as much research on the internet as I can. I don't plan on turning my future CJ into a rock crawler but I would like to have a nice trail rig. Something I can drive to the trail, through the trail and back home. Probably drive to work a few days a week as well. I hear the 4.2L I6 is a solid motor and I would like to stay that route. I'm not planning on putting anything bigger then 33 inch tires. I will have to take highways to get to these trails.

So, my question is what transmission should I be looking for? I hear the T5 is POS? How about the T176 4 speed? I am currently eyeing a 1980 CJ7 4.2L I6 w/ 4 speed manual transmission. Assuming it has the Dana 300 Tcase. I want the most dependable transmission that comes with the rig. Don't really wanna swap things around and MPG isn't to big of a concern.

Any insight or guidance would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

The New Guy

P.S. I grew up a Ford guy and I am really trying not to push that Bronco button even though I've had one before and I loved it! Tell me I'm gonna enjoy a CJ!haha

I have the T-176 on my 81 CJ7 that came with the Dana300 from the factory. Originally came with an AMC 304 V8 but have been transplanted with an AMC 360 V8. I haven't had any issues with the transmission with this setup. The t.case is pretty tough to beat..

I had an 85 CJ7 for years, and the motor / transmission never gave me issues. My only problem offroading was my poorly tuned / dirty stock carter carb - I could never permanently fix that carb. It seemed to need tinkering and cleaning every year.

Sounds like your mind is set on a CJ but don't discount the YJ. You'll have benefits like a stronger boxed frame and galvanized body panels. Can even go with the more reliable fuel injection setup. If you're a purist and believe all Jeeps should have round headlights you can swap in a CJ front clip.

Here is my advice... A CJ makes a horrible daily driver.

That said, if it were me and I had to have a CJ to drive every day, I would get fuel injection and swap in a trans with an overdrive like a NV3500 or the likes.

Probably could double the gas milage and increase the reliability with this set up.

IMO, the jeep cj is awesome. They are capable of going into unbelievable places, but the carb on the 258 completely sucks and the axles are not the strongest. I believe the cj,s from the 80,s ride a bit better on road than the 70,s models. The t176 was the best (strongest) stock trany of that time (the 80,s). I have to agree with the above about the yj wrangler though, You will get a much better ride, better gas mileage, fuel injection, stronger frame, better air sealed top (hard or soft), wider stance, better heat. For me, I just hate the axles, dash, and I will not depend on a computer controlled engine system in a dusty, damp, wet, muddy environment, everything I have learned tells me computers don't like those things.

I've been driving a CJ5 with a 4" lift and 33's for the last couple years as daily driver and to play in. Rides pretty rough, it has been fun though. Last week I bought an 82 CJ8 all stock, no lift. It rides pretty darn good, really suprised me. My 5 has the T176, I've been hard on it at times, never a complant. Also has the dana 300, I love the low gearing it has. I can put it in 4 low, ease the clutch out and walk beside it ( steering it) as it goes up my driveway ( a reasonable incline) all the way to the top. I have 3.54 gears.
They offered the T-18 4speed but I think they had discontinued it by 1980. It was a very heavy duty trans, if you like a granny gear. An 86 CJ (should...) have came with factory D44 rear diff. That's a big plus over the AMC 20 unit. But I've crossed logs, backed up trees and been hard on the 20 that's in my 5 and it's never let me down.

personally I think the AMC20 is a decent axle too, once you put one- piece axle kit in it. I ran the 20 with one piece kit and locker for about 8-10 years with no issues. Its the front 30 I don't care for anymore. After the one-piece and locker in the rear I started doing harder trails running 33x15.50x15 swapper SX and started poping front axle ujoints a couple times a year. Funny thing is, I was running 33x12.50x15 before the SX and wasn't breaking the joints then. I personally think the 33x15.50 is too much for the 30 with hard use, maybe the 15.50 is too wide for it and gives too much leverage on the shaft.

Very cool. Thank you all for the info and tips! Getting more questions answered here than anywhere else....

Is the T-5 transmission any good? I know I will get better MPGs but I hear it is a POS. Basically Im looking at 2 CJ7s: 1980 CJ7 4.2L I6 w/ a T176 4 speed OR a 1986 CJ7 4.2L I6 w/ a 5 speed. Both Jeeps are going for $3800. Any guidance toward the right direction would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks Again!

either should be fine. The t176 has a lower first gear than most 4spd's, which you want for offroad and is a strong trany that will hold up to v8 power. The 5spd is fine if you keep the 6cyl and stay 33" tires or lower. If this is going to be mostly a street jeep with just once in a while offroading, I would recommend either one, if you plan on offroading often or whenever you can, I would recommend the 80 with the t176, just based on the trany. Other than the trany they are the same. Actually the 86 may have the flanged 30 splined dana 44 rear axle which is very desired, and in that case you would have to decide if you either want a stronger trans or better rear axle. I think I would personaly go with the 80, it also has bigger stronger front wheel hub with better locking hubs.

personally I think the AMC20 is a decent axle too, once you put one- piece axle kit in it. I ran the 20 with one piece kit and locker for about 8-10 years with no issues. Its the front 30 I don't care for anymore. After the one-piece and locker in the rear I started doing harder trails running 33x15.50x15 swapper SX and started poping front axle ujoints a couple times a year. Funny thing is, I was running 33x12.50x15 before the SX and wasn't breaking the joints then. I personally think the 33x15.50 is too much for the 30 with hard use, maybe the 15.50 is too wide for it and gives too much leverage on the shaft.
I bet a 33x 15.50 looks awesome! I'm old school, I don't much care for the newer 17, 18 and 20's Oring style mudders.

Back