water in ccv hose?

30yrheel

checked the oil in my 92 6 cyl., looked kind of milky so i start looking at the ccv hoses. the hose from the air filter to the valve cover is dripping water and foamy looking crap! i cleaned the line from the valve cover to the manifold a while back, and yes it was clogged.
what else can i do? does the elbow fitting on the valve cover come off, i've read about cleaning some orfice?
please heip.

Is there a pcv valve in that elbow fitting you're talking about? If so it should come off. I have a plastic elbow fitting in my valve cover on my 93 YJ but it's not a pcv valve, it's just an elbow fitting. It comes off just by turning it 90 degrees then pulling it straight up. I can't see how water could have got in there unless you sucked it up your intake or you have a cracked head gasket. Mabye a pressure test on your coolant system can tell you if you have a cracked head gasket.

First of all, change the oil and filter ASAP. The PCV is sucking the water out of the engine oil as it vaporizes from the heat. Then you are sucking water particles right back in your air intake. You have either dunked your engine in water or have a bad head gasket.

if you want to do it yourself buy a torque wrench and remove the cylinder head. take it to a machine shop and have them hot tank it and check it for cracks (magnaflow, if my terminology is correct... something like that)

if its all good buy a new head gasket and timing chain set (might as well while you're in there unless you're on a tight budget)

dingus said:
take it to a machine shop and have them hot tank it and check it for cracks (magnaflow, if my terminology is correct... something like that)

Magnaflux. Close enough to get your point, though.

I'd go to Autozone and get a radiator pressure tester first. A leaky head gasket won't always show a coolant loss right off the bat, but could still cause the milky oil situation. A pressure test is a quick way to determine that there is a leak of some type, and if you've got water in the oil, pretty good bet that the pressure loss would be from the head gasket.

Magnaflux is for checking a cracked head. Odds are that his is not cracked, just a bad gasket. If it is cracked, they normally crack between the valves. I would either change the oil and see if it turns milky again or get the pressure test done first.

Back