Wiring A Switch For My XJ Domelight

jeepmaster

I need to wire a switch so I can manually turn my dome lights on and off since mine is broken.....

Awhile back I was turning on my headlights (pulling out the little knob) and the knob just ripped out of the dash. I stuck it back in and could still turn the domelight on and off and use the dimmer, but I couldn't get the headlights to turn on or off. I took it into the dealer and they "fixed it." Now I can turn my headlights on and off and use the dimmer but I can't turn my dome lights on by turning the knob. It clicks into where they would be on but the dome lights aren't on. My vehicle is very tinted so I need the dome light because I can't see anything in my car after the sun has gone down. For awhile I was getting by just cracking the door but it's irritating hearing that buzz if the key is in the ignition plus in the winter it's downright freezing to have the wind and snow whipping in my cracked door while I try to finish up whatever it is I need the light on for.

I'm about to do a few things to the Jeep (NSS bypass, a little bit of body work, hopefully fixing a broken door handle) and so I figured I'd like to go ahead and wire up an internal switch for my dome lights before winter hits again while I'm out wrenching on the Jeep anyway.

I know how to wire up a switch (I have a kill switch on my amp, a switch for my fogs, etc) so basically I just need some help figuring out what to wire. Do I find the power wire for my dome lights and splice in a switch there? Or do I want to run something off it's fuse in the fusebox? What would you guys suggest?

If the dealer "fixed it" I would take it back and make them really fix it at no cost since they didnt really fix it the first time.

Back