XJ In Heat, Blown Head?

carriss

[FONT=&quot]Hey Guys, I’ve got A New Jeep 93 XJ 4.0 HO Automatic (and A Limted slip:shades:)I got it from a friend who said his mechanic said it had a blown head gasket or a cracked head and I was told that it would over heat and get up to 230 but I’ve read up on some other threads on here and I tried to burp the cooling system by pulling it up on a slop and adding water and squeezing the top hose and I have only be able to get the temp to 210 and I ran it for 2 or 3 hours last sat and I drove it up and down my driveway Bout 1/4 mile long several times and it just about stayed at 210 after all that I changed out the t-stat (195) and flushed the system real good and lot of rusty looking coolant came out And It's not loosing coolant like I would think it might with a blown head gasket so what Do You guys think is up? And so Far I’ve got $200 into the whole thing and it runs fine:?|[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]With everything I did to it sat, and Sunday I didn't check the oil, it runs fine and it doesn’t show any signs of a blown head gasket, if I was never told it had problems I woundn't have known the difference except that it was staying at 210[/FONT]

if there's not would 210 be a good idling temp? Cuz My 258 in my J10 runs at like 165 to 180

Head gasket leaks can go both directions. If the gasket is leaking internally towards an oil galley and the pressure from the cooling system pressure increases, the antifreeze will mix in with the oil. If the leak occurs from one of the cylinder head gasket area and towards a water jacket, the pressure from the cylinder will push the coolant out to the exaust valve and eventually when the cooling system starts loosing enough water, the exaust gases will end up coming out of the radiator cap or reservoir bottle. The best way to test and verify for a cracked head or a blown head gasket is to use a cooling system combustion gas tester. It's a blue chemical that turns yellow with the pressence of a combustion chamber gas. You will need to purchase this kit from a local parts store like Napa auto parts.

Back