yj shackle replacement

You can get them off without dropping the tank. It takes a little fandangling though. If you have to take off the outside piece of the shackle and cut as much of the bolt off with a grinder as possible. But you can get them out, it's just a PITA.

We just did a pair and lowered the fuel tank.

You could cut the ends off with a cutoff wheel in an angle grinder, but tough to get up in there.

You only gotta do it once, 'cause you'll put the bolts in from the outside in during reassembly.

I did mine wihout dropping the tank, but the passanger side was REALLY a big PITA!!! I ended up cutting the bolt, but even that is not as easy as it sounds...

Get a sawzall and get a couple Extreme blades from Home Cheapo and cut away. I found after having to cut all the shackle bolts when installing my lift that the Extreme Rescue blade or Demo blades work best. They sell them at the tool rental counter. Best blades ever and only $2!:purple:

Another vote for the sawzall. I bought mine after i got so mad trying to get the stock suspension off my first jeep and i've used it time and time again.

I was just browsing through and noticed this...I know you probably already have solved this problem but in the future a trick I've found is to pull the bushing out. This gives you just enough wiggle room to fanagle the bolt through.

I was just browsing through and noticed this...I know you probably already have solved this problem but in the future a trick I've found is to pull the bushing out. This gives you just enough wiggle room to fanagle the bolt through.

I've read of that trick before. Whoever wrote it mentioned to drill a series of holes in the bushing all around the bolt. That should make it easier to remove the bushing, in turn, making it easier to remove the bolt.

That's what I did was take the bushings out. I got the outside ones out and then pushed the bolts out along with the inside bushings. I just don't remember how I got the outside bushings out.

Back