YJ sputters and dies

cody77

hey everyone, i had a little problem on the way home from class tonite and was wondering if anyone might be able to help me out and save me from having to pay my mechanic to do something that i can do if i could just figure out what's wrong. anyways, i was driving home and i was stopped at a stop sign and when i went to take off it just sputtered and died. of course the first thing i thought was out of fuel and since my gauge is non-operational i figured that was a pretty good possibility. well anyways...gas didnt do the trick. it'll turn over but it'll only fire if you pump the accelerator and even then it'll sputter and die as soon as you quit pumping. the only things i can think of that it might be is something in the fuel line (clogged filter, pump, etc..) OR...it jumped timing, but not having done any major mechanical work, i'm just not sure. but anywho i'm wondering if anyone, might have any ideas as to what the problem could be. thanks to everyone in advance. and oh by the way, its a '95 YJ with the almighty 4-banger, 5 spd transmission[addsig]

I would start with the fule filters and the work my way up the expence ladder. Sounds like you are not getting good even fule flow to me. Does it run under a bit of throttle? Does it just die when you let the RPMs die down? Tug[addsig]

Probably simply a bad sensor. Did the 'Check Engine' light come on?

I'd replace the crank position sensor (CPS) first, and then the throttle position sensor (TPS) second if the CPS didn't fix it.[addsig]

I would change the Fuel Filter first. Then, when that doesn't work, drop the tank and put in a new fuel sending unit/pump. I'll bet that's what's wrong. If you have the 2.5L then you probably have fuel injection... possibly the MPI fuel injection system. Find out for sure, then do what I said. Then come back when that's all done and tell us how great this website is and that the people are really knowledgeable and all that. Oh, and be sure to run your gas almost all the way out. Or else siphon it out.

c :cool: [addsig]

hey everyone, thanks for your input but i managed to get it figured out. apparantly cat converters and water dont mix. i sunk my jeep in a water hole about 3 weeks ago and i'm guess the water got in my cat and made all the insides come loose because my exhaust was pretty stopped up, i mean NOTHING was getting through. but anyways, gutted the cat and it seems to be running fine now[addsig]

It's a '95 so it IS MPFI. I wouldn't go through all the trouble of lowering the gas tank and replacing the sending unit/pump when it could be a simple sensor. Try the easiest/cheapest solutions first.[addsig]

Back