PLEASE HELP ME!!! 93 JEEP GC Limited

new2jeeps

I have a 93 jeep grand cherokee limited 6 cyl. auto. Anyway this is the only vehicle I have and my husband and myself don't live in the same town. I have to get it fixed by this weekend to take the kids to school next week. Anyway heres the deal. I bought it off my bro and next day after fueling, it died wouldn't crank no matter what, let it set until the next day it crank rough. It took it a bit and finally starting catching and would run great for a few days. Then all of a sudden it started spitting and sputtering and got worse if I touched the gas. It kept doing that for a few days. Then I turned it off and it didn't want to crank back, after turning the key off and on b4 tryin to crank it it cranked rough again (not wanting to run) anyway got it home. Had to take kids to bus stop 12 miles away next day barely got it home. It spit and sputtered worse than ever and didn't want to hardly move. Then it wouldn't start at all, it will turn over but nothing. Changed the fuel filter on it, the spark plugs and plug wires nothing.I can hear my fuel pump whirring. My cousin is willing to help me, he says that it's the crank sensor (at least thats what advance auto told him it was). What is the possibility that it's that? I unhooked the sensor and hooked it back and it still won't start. I am at wits end and cannot afford to pay out alot for this jeep I mean i just spent 1200 buying it from my brother. Any and all help will be greatly appreciated. He will be here tomorrow to take the part off and take me to get the sensor for my jeep. Please Please someone help, I don't want to pay out $55 to get this thing and then pay him to put it on just to find that it doesn't work.:(

Thank you for the reply. I really appreciate it. We tried the CPS but that wasn't it. So when i finally remembered I could do a code check it showed the sensor in the distibutor, so we replaced the distributor, still nothing. But it still says thats what it is. My cousin thats doing the hard work on it says he beleives it's the fuel pump and we plan on checking that tomorrow, of course i hope it's not but at least he found a fuel pump and gas tank together for only $50, better than $234. Well I'm also gonna replace the distributor cap and rotor button since the codes talk about the distibutor. And I was told by someone that they should have been replaced when we changed the plugs and wires. I hope he can get this fixed. Hope noone else has any probs either. Thanks again.

no. When I bought it off of him we signed a paper saying that I knew it had probs with it and would pay for it. I was told though the only prob was that it needed a tune up. would have been nice though.

Well if the distributer cap and rotor are worn, they will definatey cause the problems you described. Here's hoping you solve it with that simple, inexpensive fix ;)

If you suspect it to be the fuel pump, you can verify this by disconnecting the fuel line and cranking the motor. if it doesn't spit out gas there's a good chance that the poump is bad, although another option is a fuel filter if there is one in the line before the point at which you test it.

Back