Bingo! I think I found the TJ for me :D

kis86

You guys have been so helpful the last couple weeks with all my questions...I'm in the process of finding a Wrangler, and I think I've finally found the perfect one for me. Here's the info, tell me what you think of the price etc:

Year: 1999
Miles: 145,000
Engine: 4.0
Transmission: Auto
Color: Chili Pepper Red
New Stuff: belt, coil, battery, recent brakes
Lift: 3.5" Suspension Lift
Tires: 31", not sure what brand
Top: Both hard & soft, black
Interior: Very clean
Exterior: Perfect, no dents or rust...painted in 2005, clear title
Other: One owner vehicle, also has a 2" receiver hitch

Price: $5,200

The ad says "MAKE ME AN OFFER!!!!"

So I think the price is good as-is, but the guy is asking me to make an offer...but I don't know where to start! The price is good...would it be bad to offer lower? Is this actually a good deal? There are quite a few miles on it, but it's one owner and the guy is older and seems to have taken good care of it.

Here's a pic

Attachments

• jeep.jpg
    jeep.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 372

Good :)

So...I'll be paying with cash. If he's asking to make an offer on a vehicle that's already priced well, how do you go about making an offer that's reasonable to him? It's easy when a dealer is asking more than something is valued at, but how do you lower the price of something that's such a good deal, even though the seller wants you to? LOL

Hagglers...help needed!

Bounty_Hunter...so 4500 isn't going to be "insulting" to the guy you think? That's what I'm afraid of doing...I don't want to lower the price by picking the Jeep apart, but he wants an offer to be made. I do wonder about why it was painted though.

Also, the Jeep is located a few hours away. Should I wait until I go down there to deal, or start via email here?

That price is way below Kelly Blue Book of $6455. Sounds like a sound deal to me. The only thing I can think of is the fact that it was repainted. Do you know why it needed a repaint? Also, since it's an offer deal, you can always go up, so start low. Have you driven it yet?

If the owner is asking you to make an offer, I'd start with 4,500 , 4,700 , 4,900. He's likely to bite either 4,700 or 4,900 with a Sad puppy look on you. That would be a heck of a deal. Oh and, No Dents or Gaping holes?

I has been thinking offering 4500 to start, but didn't want to tick him off :p so it's good to know others thought the same. No dents or gaping holes SteelHeadz, the body is perfect according to the owner. He has the title in-hand and has owned it since it was new, it seems like a great deal. I won't be able to go check it out until Wednesday though :( I hope no one grabs it!

How does the engine run?He can be asking a lower price because of problems he is aware of.To offer a lower price should not be offensive,most he will say is no I cant sell it that cheap,There starts the negotiation.

Make sure you check the Fluids and possible signs of leaks that may be a cause for concern. Check the condition of the fluid by color and smell. i.e. Coolant is either Green or Red. Green is a Three Year and red is a five Year. Trans. fluid is Red in color. If it's dark gray in color, smell it. if it;s got a strong burnt smell to it , it's likely that it has not been serviced for awhile. Check the condition of the engine from a cold start. listen to the engine for misfires or rough idle, noise etc. do the same after warm up. road test to verify all the gears in the trans are shifting properly.monitor the engine for response or maybe the lack there of.. listen to the drivetrain for un-usual noises, Grinding, vibration, popping,etc.. Test the 4WD on hi and lo. check the gauges for proper operation. Indicators turns on at first key on and will tell you that the bulbs are ok and will turn back off.it will run a quick check on it's respective functions. if there's a fault found that lamp will turn back on. OBD DTC's will turn a SES lamp on at the first failed test. Other DTC's requires 3 consecutive key cycles(3 consecutive test) before it reports a DTC. that means you might not see any problem right away if there is one. one quick way to tell but not 100% fool proof if the veh. has been involved in a collision is to look at the frame thru the Fender wells and under the hood. check it for Welds or wrinkles. This is just a Suggestion on what to look for when you buy a used Veh.. i hope it helps. BTW, Its a 3 speed auto, either a 30 or 32rh.for road testing reason

Last edited:
I agree with Levinoss, go check it out and test drive it.
Never buy a used vehicle that you haven't experienced.
[not even a free one].
Ask why it was painted, etc.

As far as bartering, try 4000 and let them counter.
Most folks selling privately just grab a number out of the air.
Some people expect a counter offer, and are being polite by asking you for what you think you should pay.

The only value that counts is the one you are comfortable with.
Let us know what you discover!

sounds solid to me i would just check the suspension cause ive seen bad jobs and its exspensive

I asked about the repaint, and got this reply:

"it was repainted by the dealer in 2005, I bunped a pickup on black ice, bamaged the grill, hood, and radiatior. they replaced and painted the whole thing."

So I suppose it's possible there's more damage, but I'm glad to hear it wasn't repainted due to rust...

He got the suspension installed at a shop, so it should be good but...how would I know if it's been done badly?

I'd get a carfax on it, just to see how bad the damage was from the accident. I don't think they repaint entire Jeeps due to a bump in the front.

As to the price, I think it's a pretty good price. I personally don't like it when people try to lowball me. I'd simply ask him over the phone if his price was firm, or if he was flexable, so that you both know where you stand before you waste anyone's time.

The ad says "MAKE ME AN OFFER!!!!" so I'll start with 4500 and go from there. If he's not willing to go much lower, it's still a good price.

Carfax is a good idea. I'd also take it somewhere (to a good 4wd shop and/or mechanic's--with the owner's knowledge) and have it checked out. That might cost you $50 or $80, but you'd get a sound opinion on the mechanical condition of the vehicle. They might be able to spot something you wouldn't. If the owner balks at your having the Jeep checked out on your own nickel, run for the hills.

Here's what was found on the carfax:

The radiator was replaced in Feb.4/02
Instrument panel wiring repair on 1/18/01
Right seat adjuster cable replaced on 1/2/01
Windshield replaced on 7/9/99

There are no details on the acci exept that there was a claim for it...

I'm bringing my Dad with me to see it tomorrow, so we'll take it for a drive and test everything out, 4wd high/low, check for rust, make sure all gears work normally, no funny noises etc. I'll make a list :p and my Dad will be able to point out everything I might not see and help pinpoint any problems :)

Ok, got some info and am wondering about it:

1. Ambient temp sensor needs replacing...what is it, and how hard is it to replace? Bad to drive with it this way?

2. Also has a little exhaust noise...he says "I put the header on to get rid of the cracked stock one, which made a huge difference, but recently I have been hearing a little noise I can't figure out yet".

2a. What is he talking about when he says he "put the header on"...he replaced something but there's still noise? What might I have to worry about with that?

Back