distributer

bluejeeper

Hi guys

Need some help on how to replace the distributor on my 92 yj 4.0. The problem is I have no spark. Some say pick up coil and others say crankshaft sensor. So I tried to do the pick up coil first and in the proses I broke the distributor and now need to replace it any help would be great

Thanks rich

All u do is pull distribtor get the engin tdc too dead center on first cylinder then let distibute slide in carefully

Top dead center is the term used for cylinder number one being in the full up position between intake and exhaust, commonly referred to as fire position. With the engine in and hooked up the easiest way I know is to bump the starter and with the plug out of number one watch the piston. I have to have the valve cover off so I can watch the valves. Hope this helps.

Did you get your distributor problem fixed? I just had the same problem, I went ot the junk yard picked up another distributor. I just set my timing marker on the harmonic balancer at 0 dregree TDC, using a breakerbar and a 3/4" socket to turn the crankshaft on the front of the engine. Also take a scewdriver down into the distibutor hole and turn the slot for the oil pump to about 10:30-11:00, and drop your distributor in. The mounting bolt hole should line right up,if you have the correct distributor. If it does not startup, pull the distribuor out and turn it 180 degrees. Dont forget to line back up your timing mark and oil pump slot. GOOD LUCK...

whats the best way to get TDC
#1 number all plug wires so you know how they go on eng
#2 remove plugs
#3 have a friend tap ignition till you feel presure from the #1 cyl
#4 remove bolt and clip from distributor shaft pull straight up till it comes out (leave cap and wires on till replacing on new dist)
#5 When placing new shaft in point rotor to #1 plug
#6 follow directions from step 4 in reverse

There's a specific procedure for installing the distributor outlined in the FSM (Factory Service Manual). I'd recommend finding a copy if possible, if even a digital copy.

You don't point the rotor at cyl #1 because the shaft spins as it's dropped into the block due to the rotation of the distributor gear as it's lowered. There's also specific directions on ensuring the Cam pos sensor is held correctly in place during distributor installation.

and if you really want to, you can just note where it was pointing when you pull the old one and line the new one up to the exact same spot. you don't even have to actually go through lining everything back to tdc. if you haven't already pulled the old one

Back