Feature on My Wagoneer.

pitbulld45

My 1989 Wagoneer is loaded to the gills. It was for sure ahead of its time. I have a selector switch to the right of my steering wheel on the dash. It has a picture of a transmission on it. Above the switch says "comfort" below it says "power". Can any one tell me what this is for and what the feature is called?

I'm not a 100% sure, but i think it's similar to an overdrive switch. Whereas the comfort has the overdrive lockup and the power does not. i could be wrong.

That's common on the '87-'90 Renix 4.0 autos, I believe it controls the shift points of the transmission. 'Power' holds each gear longer for more power in higher RPM's, 'comfort' shifts sooner for smoother shifts and better economy.

If you want 'loaded', get an extended idle toggle switch from an XJ with the police package.

i have that same feature in my 91 cherokee laredo but never knew what it was for either so i never touched it. 4WD works fine other then after disengaging it, it takes a little while for it to realize it and go out of 4WD so i wasnt worried about the comfort and power thing.

Since that is more or less an overdrive that should help with fuel economy also. Cool, it still sucks with 35 inch tires.

It's nowhere near an overdrive. Leaving it in comfort may not help economy, you could probably use the later shifts of the power setting to get those 35" tires moving.

Back