Hard time starting in rain?

CherokeeGuy42

Ok I have a jeep that I'm looking at and the only problem supposedly with it is that it has a hard time starting in the rain. Has anyone ever heard of that happening? Easy to fix?

Generally a bad distributor cap or a bad coil, both are easily affected in that manner in high moisture conditions.

Turns out its a 89 Cherokee, 4.0, 5spd, with 120xxx miles. Ok it's been a while since I've had an older cherokee and I have a few questions. I'm pretty sure it has the dash that only has the gas and speedo gauges. Can I convert it to the better panel easily? Also how much difference is there in the 4.0 and the 4.0 HO?

The main different between your 4.0L and the HO is a different computer system and a large redesign of the head.

You can easily convert to the full guage panel and get rid of the idiot lights, who needs that large a fuel guage anyway. When you pick up your new guage set, be sure to get the oil pressure sending unit and temp sending unit, they are different between the two different guage panels.

Be sure to keep a similar year guage panel so the speedo hooks up correctly.

I did this swap on my '88 MJ and it worked fine, but I think the fuel guage read backwards.

Back