Weeble Wooble and Vibrations

freebird2

So I've just installed the Pro Comp stage 2, 4 inch lift for my 03 Sahara and a AA SYE and a Rubi Exp 16.5 driveshaft. I drove it around and I've got vibrations at the wheels really severe around 45 mph and under the belly I got some good vibrations.
What do you guys think I need to do. I know my pinion angle is off a little bit and I think it needs an alignment pretty bad. I don't have adjustable upper control arms or an aftermarket steering stabilizer.

An alignment and adjustable upper control arms should fix all your problems. It's very important your rear axle pinion be pointed directly at the transfer case output, inline with the driveshaft.

Thanks, I went ahead and ordered a pair of adjustable upper control arms on saturday.
Are they fairly easy to install. Do you need any special tools?

No special tools. You may want to get an angle finder, the kind with two magnetic sides. This will help confirm the angle of the pinion and driveshaft, instead of just eyeballing it. Available at most hardware and farm stores.
Johnson-2.jpg

They said that they did an alignment on it, but I still get really bad wooble in the steering when I go over 45 mph, he recommends a new stabilizer shock.
What do you think?

By this 'really bad wobble', do you mean the type where you fear for your life and you have to slow down quickly for fear of the jeep coming apart?

A new steering stabilizer may work, but it's often a bandaid fix that covers up the real problem. Something is wrong that is causing the wobble to begin in the first place, likely tire balance and/or worn parts. Try rotating the tires and see if that makes a difference.

Did they install a new front track bar with the kit? Could also be bad trackbar ends or a loose trackbar. Watch both ends of the front trackbar while somebody turns the steering wheel quickly back and forth against full-lock.

Yes it is the death wooble. So I took it to another guy and he took a look at the alignment and it was way off. He re aligned it and it is driving much much better. The stealership did a poor job in the first place. I'm need to learn how to fix these problems myself before I get ripped off again. Thanks for the help the wooble is fixed but I'm still going to install the new steering stabilizer and adjustable upper control arms myself see if that helps it.

I will be interested to know if that helps, please give an update. I lifted my 05 Rubicon 4" and after 2 alignments, rotating tires, and a new adjustible track bar (which did help bring the front axle back perfectly underneath the jeep instead of .75 inches to the right) I still have a very slight wobble in the steering wheel between 45-55mph but no wobble when going slower or faster. If this works for you, I may try a new steering stabilizer bar as well. Please keep us posted.

I installed the rear upper adjustable control arms and raised the belly back to normal. I like the look I may have to adjust the pinion angle a little bit more. Still waiting on the steering stabilizer. I too have a little wooble around 45-55 mph.

So freebird, basically you've got a 4" short arm with new upper/lowers and adjustable track bars? Did you do the t case lowering kit or did you do the new longer rear cv driveshaft? I had to cut the floor so the shifter would reach R after I put in the t case lowering bracket and I should have just spent the extra money for the driveshaft and left the t case where it is. Did your shifter bump as well?

Nice jeep man, I did get the longer CV driveshaft 16.5 Rubi Express. I would of probably got the tom woods if I known earlier.

I will be interested to know if that helps, please give an update. I lifted my 05 Rubicon 4" and after 2 alignments, rotating tires, and a new adjustible track bar (which did help bring the front axle back perfectly underneath the jeep instead of .75 inches to the right) I still have a very slight wobble in the steering wheel between 45-55mph but no wobble when going slower or faster. If this works for you, I may try a new steering stabilizer bar as well. Please keep us posted.

So I put the new Pro comp ES 2000 steering stabilizer on the other day.
I can bearly notice a difference in hadeling but I havent had any issues with woobleing at all even when going 45-55. It may help you out. I've been looking around and old man EMU and Rancho seem to have some good steering stablizers out there.

I got some major death wobble issues at the moment, I will be checking everything soon, tire balance, allignment, front end, joints, I also recently purchased a jks trackbar so hopefully this will go away. Any other suggestions?

Last edited:
I have an 06 Rubicon and I'm getting a small steering wheel wobble between 40-50 mph. There was some info about installing a steering stabilizer. Does it work? I've sent my Jeep in a couple of times to different places to balance the tires, align the front end and I still get the shakes. I'm wondering if there is any good way to get rid of the wobble, since it isn't the death wobble.

fatty chris, sounds like your caster in the front axle wasn't correctly adjusted after the lift was installed. An '06 requires the installation of adjustable cam bolts at the axle end of the lower control arms, then adjust them out all the way so it pushes the bottom of the front axle forward. This will bring your pinion down slightly and should (in my experience) take care of the vibration you're experiencing.

It's what I do any time I install a 2" lift and it corrects the problem.

As for the steering stabilizer, your jeep is already equipped with one. Replacing it with a heavier one would only be a bandaid fix and might mask the real problem.

You can get the adjustable cam bolts at a dealership, they came stock on earlier TJ's.

Thanks Bounty. I'll check into that. I'd much rather fix the problem than band-aid it

Back