late 80's jeep cherokee

bigdza

so hopefully you guys think this is a stupid question. but i'm lost. I have a late 80's jeep cherokee with a closed cooling system. recently it started overheating and after taking it to the shop, we were told it was probably blown head gasket. well we couldnt afford to fix it so, we brought it home and an uncle used a "seal all" product for head gaskets. after that it seemed to work just fine. he was able to fill it up with antifreeze and it didnt overheat for awhile. now the problem is that whenever we drive it for an extended period of time and then turn the car OFF, the antifreeze "erupts" out of the overflow tank. like i said the car stays cool unless we go into city-like stop and go traffic. So, the coolant keeps coming out of the overflow tank when we turn the car off, but the real problem is that i can get it to intake any coolant. it comes out but wont suck coolant back in. any ideas? Also, supposedly the shop changed the thermostat.
Thanks,
d

Sounds like the factory rad is clogged (look for a "blackstone" label) and you need one from a '91 to '95. If the cat is clogged, you'll have the same issues as well.

I have a 87' Cherokee. I fixed an overheating issue by replacing the thermostat & the overflow tank. In an 87' the overflow tank is pressurized meaning, it expands & contracts. So, it needs to be replaced if it is the original. What year is your Cherokee?

so hopefully you guys think this is a stupid question. but i'm lost. I have a late 80's jeep cherokee with a closed cooling system. recently it started overheating and after taking it to the shop, we were told it was probably blown head gasket. well we couldnt afford to fix it so, we brought it home and an uncle used a "seal all" product for head gaskets. after that it seemed to work just fine. he was able to fill it up with antifreeze and it didnt overheat for awhile. now the problem is that whenever we drive it for an extended period of time and then turn the car OFF, the antifreeze "erupts" out of the overflow tank. like i said the car stays cool unless we go into city-like stop and go traffic. So, the coolant keeps coming out of the overflow tank when we turn the car off, but the real problem is that i can get it to intake any coolant. it comes out but wont suck coolant back in. any ideas? Also, supposedly the shop changed the thermostat.
Thanks,
d

First off no question is a dumb question

If you don't ask you wont learn:shades:

Click the link below to read fixes for your issues also the very last post was mine with a few common things that cause these issues and some fixes that work (NOTE: The system in this link is from a 90s xj but the system is the same in your xj)

http://www.jeepz.com/forum/cherokee-commander-wagoneer-liberty/36280-1990-cherokee-radiator-without-cap-question.html

I never recommend using any type of sealer in a cooling system it always opens another can of worms , from minor to major blockage

Could be as simple as replacing the overflow bottle with A new one that holds pressure.

I would guess you have a clog in it somewhere man, since it won't take in any coolant. I assume you've tried filling it with coolant after its running at normal operating temp that way the thermostat is open right?

Had the same problem with mine and it turned out to be a pionhole leak in the reservoir bottle which I was able to glue closed but you might want to install a new one to be sure it will hold pressure - they're about $30.00.

Back